Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tactical hat error

The knitting has been slow or not happening very frequently due to many real life happenings - sister in town, pumpkin patch field trips and pumpkin carving party, the usual soccer and upcoming Halloween, not to mention the obligatory trip to the theater to see HSM3 (dudes, even DH went).

And I still have bad hat knitting karma. So I finally get the hang of the brioche stitch/fisherman's rib pattern for Bounce, but something was still bothering me. Could it be the high variegation of the yarn that's makes DH joke about closing the middle so I can have a potholder? Or is it the fact that I chose a yarn based solely on the pattern gauge and not the weight of the yarn used in the pattern 'causing me to have half a hat that is too heavy? It's taken me a whole skein of Sheep Shop 2 yarn to realize it's probably both. In any case, I will be frogging this and knit the skein into either an Unoriginal Hat or Foliage. But I'll do it later when I'm not so peeved at my hat knitting.


The sock karma is good though. The surprise is that I am neither pooling nor striping so far with my STR lightweight in Rocktober. Same needle size, same stitch count as usual (64), and what I assumed to be the same gauge. I usually end up striping. I am intrigued.


Socks that Rock lightweight in Rocktober
size 2.50 mm KP dpns
pattern: Crows Feet by Linda Welch (Ravelry link)

6 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Bummer about the hat. Well, I'm glad I didn't copy you on the sheep shop...thanks for learning for both of us!!

Lovin' the rocktober!! Soooooo pretty!

tapmouse said...

There are some STR colorways that seem to variegate more than pool. I think the County Fair colorway is one of them (remember the linen cuff socks with the button?) LOVE the Rocktober socks! Must examine the open skein pic!

Yeah, seems the hat is just not happening for now. The universe is telling you-KNIT SOCKS!

Lisa said...

Yay for no pooling or swirlly striping. Your socks look great.

Knitting Kris said...

Oh, too bad about the hat....but the socks are lovely. I don't know if I've ever seen Rocktober stripe so prettily! I'll have to take a second peek at my skein of it!

Unknown said...

STR pooling/striping is a mystery. It's so unpredictable!

That yarn will be a really pretty unoriginal hat.

Zonda said...

Ditto about the hat, nice yarn. Will be perfect in either of your new choices. Nice sock too!