Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Jubilant Shawl

I finished the shawl on Mother's Day, but didn't get around to blocking it 'til the next day. Monkey1 decided to be the model rather than the photographer, so scale the shawl against a 4'9" grade school child.


Shawl that Jazz by Samro, one of the loveliest knitters around
BMFA BFL Sport in Jubilation - ~1.35 skeins
size 9 & 11 KP Harmony circs
version: the rufflier one


I was initially concerned about a slight difference between the 2 skeins I had bought at Sock Camp. (Pic immediately below.) Since it was a last minute buy (as in the last day before BMFA packed up), I rushed through and didn't check carefully. With the shaping involving short rows, it would've been a total PITA to alternate the 2 skeins, so I took a chance and started with just one.

It didn't matter at the end because I didn't need to start the second skein 'til the edging. (Obviously, gauge came to the rescue 'cause I knit a little tighter than the pattern spec.)


What it look like unblocked:


And as a Mother's Day gift to myself I got another Namaste Laguna in Eggplant from Woolgirl's Mother's Day sale. I was definitely in a color-coordinating mood.


One of these days, I will knit a matching pair of socks in the Jubilation mill end that I got at Stitches West the month before Sock Camp which matches so well. Sometimes it's more surprising when hand dyed yarns actually do match across fibers and dye lots.

Now back to my sock WIP's which haven't moved forward very quickly and to a new shawl KAL. Ulmus, here I come.

5 comments:

cupcakefaerie said...

Your shawl is gorgeous and such a cute model you have. I would have done the same risky thing and started the shawl to see how far I could get. I'm so glad you didn't have to alternate skeins.

Neuroknitter said...

The shawl is beautiful and is modeled perfectly by Monkey1!!

Matching socks would be awesome!!

Zonda said...

It's gorgeous!! I got a Laguna in Saddle for my Mother's day! :)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Such a gorgeous shawl Celia!! It looks fabulous on Monkey (watch out for her!)!!

And I'm so glad you got a new Namaste Bag for Mother's Day!!!

Angela said...

Love the color! It appears to have grown quite a bit with blocking so I'm off to block mine to see what happens....

And I love the colors of your Ulmus swatches...