Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summertime & the living is easy?

Not necessarily, but stockinette stitch surely is.


Tiered Skirt from Barefoot Knits book
Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in:
Cotton Ball, Carribean Sea & Emperor's Robe
size 7 KP circs

Converted the pattern to top down & in the round. Also upsized the circumference to size 12/14. As with Monkey2's Twirly Skirt, I knit the waistband closed 'cept for a 1-2" gap to insert the elastic as I knit along. Did not porportionally increase the length 'cause I figured the Cotton Fleece already would be heavy. I've already adjusted the elastic band 3 times to keep the skirt from slipping. I'll have to adjust it one more time based on Monkey1's feedback after she wore it to her summer program before I washed/blocked it.

And when I did wash/block it, despite the white vinegar the dark blue bled like the dickens unlike Monkey2's pink/red Tiered Skirt. I found that totally ironic. Maybe I didn't add enough vinegar as Monkey1's skirt is much bigger.

Also done are:


Kai Mei from Cookie A's Sock Innovation
Pigeonroof Studios Siren Two sock in Midnight Haze
size 2.50 mm KP circs


I had major Second Sock Screw Up Syndrome with the left sock. For some reason I couldn't keep track of either my gusset decreases nor the paired increase/decrease stitches to make the lace panel travel. Even using tally marks on a piece of paper didn't help. While I re-did the gusset at least once, buy the time I got to the end of the foot, I lost patience & kinda winged the fix.

In any case, with the super soft merino/cashmere/nylon blend, I'll most likely wear this pair around the house rather than out & about in a pair of shoes.

Oh, and speaking of Cookie A, check out the website for her second book! Tapmouse picked up a copy of the flyer at Sock Summit and showed it to me. My sample sock isn't in any of the pics, but it is a variation so to speak of one of them. Totally looking forward to next spring ('cause someone in the know told me Feb 2010 is a little to early).

3 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love the skirt and the socks are so pretty! And probably so squishy soft with that cashmere!!

dianne said...

The skirts you made the girls are so cute! I bet they love them. Pretty socks too. I just bought the Sock Innovation book a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to read it through yet, but I picked out several socks I'd like to make from a quick skim.

Batty said...

Wonderful twirly skirt. And those Kai Meis are stunning. It's one of my favorite patterns from that book. They're beautiful.