Sunday, April 25, 2010

Slip Jigs & Slippery Slopes

Finished in time for Irishgirlieknits return from Sock Camp:


RSC March 2010 kit
Slip Jig by Irishgirlieknits
BMFA STR medwgt in Wild Irishgirlie
size 2.50 mm KP circs
med pattern size
no mods


We've got a nice respite from the spring rains, but by the time I remember to take pics, it's too shady in our back yard. Pics at work are a little better, but flourescent lighting can be icky.


Have I mentioned I have slid down the slippery slope that is spinning? Obviously I'm no where near good, but at least I enjoy the practicing. Now if only I can take a pic of this fiber in the right light. It's Superwash BFL in No. 9 from A Verb for Keeping Warm. I have no idea about my yardage from the 4 oz I spindle spun. I also Navajo-plyed it, but from singles I had already wound on toilet paper rolls, so it was super tricky to keep the tension right. I can totally see how loose I was in a few spots. I do love Navajo-plying, so I'll do it the way I learned in class on my next dyed fiber (but not one that is more semi-solid).

Next step is to figure our my wraps-per-inch and swatch it to see what I can knit it into. One of my other goals too is to see if I can load my spindle with more fiber instead of having a bunch of little skeins when I'm done spindle-spinning.

5 comments:

Zonda said...

Nice socks! :) Love the handspun, hehe...another one bites the dust. Now to get the Irishgirlie ;)

cockeyed said...

great socks! Welcome to the dark side....spinning!

dianne said...

Love your finished Slip Jigs! I think you're doing a fine job spinning! It looks great in your pictures.

cupcakefaerie said...

Wonderful handspun! Missed the Navajo plying class. May need a tutorial from you.

Love the socks too!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

That handspun is gorgeous!! Dark side is right!

And the slip jigs!! They make my heart do a little dance! Gorgeous!