Friday, October 22, 2010

Sockober done for now

I need to switch over to some non-sock gift & sample knitting, so while I have a pair and a half to go, I'm done with Socktober. 


pattern: Rib and Cable socks by Ann Budd
yarn: Koigu KPM in "Raspberry"
needles: 2.50 mm KP nickel-plated dpns
mods: Same as the acid green pair.  Both partners have the same shoe size. 


I'm late to last quarter's Socks that Rawk KAL, but I'm done!

pattern: Blackberry Brambles by Irishgirlieknits
yarn: STR medium weight in Tanzanite - I had to dig for this as I own only a handful of medium weight STR.  Most of my STR stash is lightweight
needles: 2.50 mm KP nickel-plated dpns
only mod: one less decrease for less pointy toes


I've been randomly knitting baby stuff while I waited for my sister and a family friend to find out what sex their babies will be.  They're both boys, so I'll probably put aside the yellow Lucky sweater (& coordinating hat & booties) aside.  The seafoam blue hat is appropriate, but I only had the one orphan skein in the clearance section of a lys.  I have to figure out if I have coordinating colors in my stash to make some type of layette set with the hat. 

The blanket would've been a good gift, but I failed to read the care section of this acrylic yarn.  Unfortunately my assumption that all acrylic yarns can be thrown in the washer & dryer was wrong.  The care label says hand wash.  Not good for a new mom.  I've gone too far along with the blanket to frog, so it will go to my Monkeys.  While a blanket is nice mindless knittig for the monkeys soccer practice (& sometimes games), I may not make an easier care one  and stick to sweaters instead.  Baby sweaters are so much faster. 

2 comments:

Discoknits said...

Do you have enough blanket yarn to knit a quick swatch and machine wash that on the handwash setting? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Sometimes handwash doesn't mean handwash, iykwim.

Your blackberry brambles look great in that colour.

dianne said...

I absolutely adore your blackberry brambles in tanzanite! They are so pretty.

I love sweaters for new babies too. My favorite pattern source is Louisa Harding's Natural Knits for Babies & Moms. There are some really great contemporary patterns in it and I have found it easy to find easy care yarns to use for them too.